Bichon World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. This post may also contain other affiliate links and Bichon World might be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on them.
If you’re in California and are looking to purchase or adopt a new Bichon Frise to bring home, you may be wondering where to start your search. Whether you’re looking for a breeder or a rescue organization, you’re in the right place. This article will cover a list of all the known Bichon Frise breeders in the state, as well as rescues where you may be able to adopt a Bichon.
Finally, we’ll also go over some useful information for keeping a Bichon Frise in the state of California. If you don’t have any luck finding a breeder or rescue in California, you may want to try checking neighboring states including Nevada, Arizona, and Oregon.
Bichon Frise Breeders in California
Below is a directory of Bichon Frise breeders located in California. Before contacting breeders, make sure to look through their websites, as some prefer to be contacted through specific avenues. Additionally, it’s important to keep in mind that not all breeders will have puppies available at all times.
Location: San Diego, California
Contact Person: Vito and Christian Zerilli
Phone: (619) 396-0011
Location: Sherwood Forest, California
Contact Person: Marsi Harvey
Phone: (818) 517-2490
Location: Eden Valley, California
Contact Person: Adrienne
Phone: (530) 308-3433
California Bichons, situated in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, is committed to breeding AKC Bichon Frise companions that are beautiful, affectionate, playful, and healthy. Their puppies are raised in a loving environment, socialized with adults and children, and exposed to everyday noises and household activities. The puppies enjoy outdoor play and sunbathing on the lawn.
This breeder holds the AKC “Bred-with-Heart” designation, highlighting their dedication to health testing. Their Bichons are OFA health tested and certified for eyes, patellas, and hips (after age two), focusing on the most prevalent hereditary defects in the breed. Excellent hygiene, nutrition, regular deworming, and vaccinations contribute to the puppies’ well-being. Prior to placement, all puppies undergo thorough veterinary examinations. All of the pups from this breeder are AKC registered with impressive champion bloodlines.
Location: Windsor, California
Contact Person: Patricia, Matthew, Gisella, and Einstein Culmore
Phone: (707) 837-0561
Email: email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org
Culmore Canines, located in Windsor, California, is a passionate Bichon Frise breeder dedicated to raising healthy and happy dogs. Patricia, Matthew, Gisella, and Einstein Culmore, the loving family behind Culmore Canines, have been involved in breeding since the late 1980s. They fell in love with Bichon Frises and decided to hand-raise them in their beautiful location, sharing the joy of dog companionship with others.
Their pack includes Gisella, a beautiful female, and Einstein, who has achieved significant success in conformation events. Additionally, Jubilee’s Baroness Greta of Windsor, with an impressive lineage of 13 Champions in four generations, joined their family. Culmore Canines is a member of the Mensona Kennel Club, an AKC All-Breed Kennel Club, committed to the advancement of purebred dogs and owner education.
Location: Granite Bay, California
Contact Person: Donna DeMartini
Phone: (916) 847-0151
Donna DeMartini, renowned for her exceptional “Best In Show” Bichon Frises, has devoted over 20 years to the well-being of these beloved dogs. It all began in 1996 when Donna rescued her first Bichon, Missy, igniting her passion for the breed. In 2004, Donna welcomed Bianca, her first show dog, who quickly achieved remarkable success. The lineage of Donna’s dogs has produced multiple champions, which she has lovingly raised and cared for.
Donna’s Bichons have competed in prestigious dog shows nationwide, including the renowned Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Among her remarkable achievements, Gigi earned the esteemed title of Best In Show American Kennel Club Grand Champion.
Location: San Diego(La Mesa), California
Contact Person: Sharon Hunkins
Phone: (619) 916-8167
Elite Bichons and Cotons, based in Southern California, is a prestigious breeder specializing in Bichon Frise and Coton de Tulear dogs. With a passion for excellence, they carefully select top-ranking dogs from around the country and Europe. Recognized by the AKC as a Breeder of Merit, Elite Bichons and Cotons is dedicated to raising, showing, and breeding the finest Bichon Frises and Coton de Tulears with exceptional personalities.
Location: Apple Valley, California
Contact Person: Elizabeth Byers
Phone: (760) 713-6472
Location: Valley Center, San Diego, California
Contact Person: Deb Gibb and Linda Rowe
Phone: (858) 531-2890
Hollyhock Bichons, led by Linda Rowe, is an esteemed Bichon Frise breeder that has been active since the late 1970s. With a focus on meeting the Bichon Frise Illustrated Standard, they strive for beautiful heads, wonderful movement, and loving temperaments. Linda and Deb Gibb, both Breeder Of Merit recipients, select dams and sires based on health, temperament, conformation, and overall quality.
They participate in the AKC “Bred-with-Heart” program, emphasizing education and health testing. OFA test results for their breeding dogs are available on the OFA website. Hollyhock Bichons raise their puppies in their homes, implementing Early Neurological Stimulation and extensive socialization. Priority placement is given to Bichon Frise owners and those pursuing titles. They actively engage in the Bichon Frise Club of San Diego, Bichon Frise Club of America, and Bichon rescue.
Location: Santa Ana, California
Contact Person: Wilson Ramirez
Phone: (714) 393-7289
Wilson Ramirez is a dedicated small private home breeder situated in Santa Ana, California, operating under the name Karmel Bichons. His objective is to produce well-socialized, beautiful, and healthy Bichons that possess both show potential and make exceptional companions. Wilson’s breeding program adheres to a strict discipline, aiming to create Bichons that conform to the AKC breed standard.
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Contact Person: Erayna Beckman
Phone: (916) 560-3354
Erayna, the dedicated breeder behind Legend, embarked on her Bichon Frise journey as a pet owner. Although she unknowingly bought her first dog from a pet store, her love for the breed remained unwavering. Over time, Erayna’s passion deepened, leading her to acquire Cricket, a female Bichon Frise who would become the cornerstone of her kennel.
Cricket exceeded all expectations, producing three champion show dogs in her very first litter. Among them was Trinket, a show-quality female that became Erayna’s first dog to enter the competitive world of dog shows. Though initially naive, Erayna’s dedication and perseverance paid off when Trinket achieved notable success, including a Best of Opposite Sex award at the esteemed Westminster Kennel Club show.
Location: Meadow Vista, California
Contact Person: Roz Allen
Phone: (530) 878-4602
Roslyn Allen, the founder of Lore Bichons, is a passionate breeder with a diverse range of interests. Drawing from her extensive background in music and cat breeding, Roslyn embarked on her Bichon Frise journey in 2010. As the driving force behind Lore Bichons, she is committed to producing Bichon Frise puppies that adhere to the AKC breed standard. With a focus on health, temperament, and type, Roslyn’s home-raised puppies excel in the conformation ring and make exceptional companions.
Through a nurturing environment, socialization, and intellectual stimulation, Lore Bichons exemplifies Roslyn’s dedication to quality. As an AKC Breeder of Merit and an active member of The Bichon Frise Club of America, Roslyn welcomes inquiries and emphasizes the importance of selecting a breeder who prioritizes health screening and active involvement in the practice.
Location: Indian Wells, California
Contact Person: Lewis Waldeisen
Phone: (760) 275-9203
Mirage Bichons, a reputable breeder with over 20 years of experience, is dedicated to upholding the AKC breed standard. Their passion lies in raising puppies with love within the comfort of their own home. From the moment of birth until they find their forever homes, Mirage Bichons provides around-the-clock care, ensuring the well-being and development of each pup. With a nurturing environment, ample socialization, intellectual stimulation, and opportunities for independence, Mirage Bichons strives to give their puppies the best start in life.
Location: Meadow Vista, California
Contact Person: Laura Winston
Phone: (530) 642-3216
Location: Fair Oaks, California
Contact Person: James and Kay Mitchell
Phone: (916) 965-4992
Sasikay Bichon Frise, a reputable breeding company with 25 years of experience, specializes in producing top-quality Bichon Frise dogs. Their dedicated team has bred numerous champions and actively participates in the show ring. Led by the guidance of Virginia Boswell, Sasikay Bichon Frise embarked on their breeding journey after receiving their first Bichon, Snuggles. Their exceptional champion, Lancelot, left an enduring legacy with over 200 champion descendants.
Committed to canine health, Sasikay Bichon Frise actively promotes and encourages annual C.E.R.F. examinations to ensure the well-being of their dogs. With a focus on quality, they provide comprehensive care and training information to prospective owners and offer ongoing support throughout the dog’s life.
Location: Mission Viejo, California
Contact Person: Janet Hartmann
Phone: (949) 291-9068
Shira Yuri Bichons is dedicated to raising remarkable Bichon Frises that bring joy and happiness to their owners’ lives. With a strong focus on producing healthy and well-rounded puppies, this breeder strives for excellence in both showmanship and companionship. Their commitment to quality is evident in the meticulous care and attention given to each dog. Shira Yuri Bichons ensures that their breeding stock undergoes thorough health testing, including screenings for hip dysplasia and patellar luxation, to maintain the utmost standards of canine health. By providing regular vaccinations and a balanced diet, they prioritize the overall well-being of their dogs.
Location: Santa Ana, California
Contact Person: Patti and Michael Clayton
Phone: (714) 337-1330
Rescues and Other Ways of Getting a Bichon Frise in California
While it’s always a great option to get your Bichon Frise from a reputable breeder, you may also be considering adoption. There are a lot of great dogs out there in need of a new home, so adopting your new Bichon Frise friend is another fantastic way of acquiring the breed.
Below is a list of organizations and other resources that you might want to check out:
- Small Paws Rescue California – A directory of Californian volunteers for a nationwide organization focused on rescuing and rehoming Bichons Frises.
- Bichon FurKids – A not-for-profit organization dedicated to rehoming Bichons in California to find them a new forever home.
- Bichon Rescue Brigade – A volunteer group that focuses on rehoming Bichon Frises, as well as providing the public with education about the breed.
- Bichon Rescue of Orange County – A non-profit organization with the goal of rescuing and rehabilitating abused, neglected, and homeless Bichon Frises.
- Saving California Dogs Rescue Network – While not focused specifically on Bichons, this Facebook group provides people with a platform to discuss any dogs that need rehoming, so you may find a Bichon Frise for adoption here.
Useful Resources for Keeping a Bichon Frise in California
If you decided to get a Bichon Frise in California, make sure to check out the resources below:
- Chewy – This is one of the largest online pet supply retailers in the nation, and with a wide selection of products they make it easy to have anything you may need shipped right to your door.
- Dunbar’s Academy – A variety of online courses that will be very helpful in training your new puppy. The courses were developed by Ian Dunbar, one of the world’s best-known dog behavior and training experts.
- Wags & Wiggles – A dog training, boarding, and daycare facility located in Orange County, California. This organization welcomes all breeds, so they’d be perfectly happy to help you with your Bichon Frise.
- California Bichon Frise Clubs – A directory of local clubs provided by the Bichon Frise Club of America. There are three official clubs located throughout California that may be worth checking out.
Additionally, you might also look at some of our articles about how to take care of a Bichon Frise.
Is the Bichon Frise Suitable for California?
The Bichon Frise can be a great dog to keep in California, however, there are some important factors to consider if you’re planning on getting a Bichon in this state.
- Climate: California has a diverse climate, ranging from coastal areas with moderate temperatures to inland regions with hotter and drier conditions. Bichon Frises have a thick double coat that requires regular grooming and may be more suited to cooler climates. Because of this, if you live in a hot region, you will need to ensure your Bichon has access to shade, fresh water, and air conditioning during hot periods to prevent overheating. Additionally, extra grooming or special haircuts may be useful for keeping your pooch cool in warmer conditions.
- Living Space: Because of their size, Bichon Frises do well in both apartments and larger homes, making them well adapted to a variety of living arrangements. However, it’s important to ensure that your dog still has the ability to go outside for exercise and fresh air. This can make having a yard useful, however, walks are also a suitable option.
- Attention Requirements: While not necessarily specific to California, it’s important to understand that Bichon Frises are dogs that require a lot of attention, and are very prone to separation anxiety. Because of this, if you work a 9-5 in an office away from home, or live a busy lifestyle, the Bichon may not be the right breed for you.
- Dog-Friendly Facilities: Finally, it’s also important to consider whether or not you’ll have access to dog-friendly facilities such as dog parks and walking areas. California is generally considered to be a dog-friendly state, however, it’s essential to consider your specific area before purchasing a pet.
What Bichon Frise Alternatives Are Suitable for California?
While the Bichon Frise is a great breed, you may be looking for some suitable alternatives. Below are five breeds that make great alternatives for the Bichon Frise and that are generally suitable for California:
- Maltese: Maltese dogs are similar in size and temperament to Bichon Frises. They are affectionate, playful, and adaptable to apartment living. Maltese have a long, silky coat that requires regular grooming but can be kept shorter for easier maintenance in warmer climates.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: Cavaliers are small, friendly dogs that make excellent companions. They can easily adjust to different living situations and can thrive in apartments or houses with small yards. Cavaliers have a medium-length coat that needs regular brushing, but they are generally low-shedding.
- Miniature Poodle: Miniature Poodles are intelligent, trainable, and versatile dogs. They come in various colors and have a curly, hypoallergenic coat that requires regular grooming. Poodles are highly adaptable to different climates, including California’s diverse weather conditions. They are energetic and benefit from regular exercise, making them a good fit for active individuals or families.
- Havanese: These dogs are small, affectionate, and well-suited to apartment living. They have a silky, hypoallergenic coat that requires regular grooming. Havanese are known for their playful nature, making them great companions for families or individuals.
- Shih Tzu: Shih Tzus are small, affectionate dogs that make wonderful companions. They have a long, flowing coat that requires regular grooming to keep it manageable. Shih Tzus are adaptable to different climates, including California’s milder temperatures. They are generally good-natured and can provide loyal and loving companionship.